Senior Design Manager – Leading Top Tier Contractor – West Midlands
Salary: Up to £65k pa + package.
Job Type: Permanent.
Senior Design Manager
We are currently looking for a Senior Design Manager to join our Client’s Building Division in the Midlands.
Summary of Role:
Manage the off-site design process on Stage 1 and 2 tenders, commencing at ‘RIBA Stage 2 or 3 – Concept or Developed Design’, in accordance with their Design Management processes and procedures.
Manage the on-site design process at ‘RIBA Stage 4 and 5 – Technical Design and Construction’, in accordance with their Design Management processes and procedures.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
* Review the Tender Information including the Employer’s Information Requirements and any existing Design Team appointments and determine the scope and extent of all remaining design work, prior to the Tender Start-up Meeting
* Verify that the existing Tender (design) Information is compliant, coordinated, affordable (within the existing budget) and buildable prior to the Tender Settlement Meeting
* Determine, in conjunction with the Bid Team, the strategy for the completion of all remaining design work
* Assess / audit all novated Design Team Members and if applicable negotiate any additional services
* Prepare and issue fee enquiries for supplementary Design Team Members
* Select and informally appoint supplementary Design Team members for both Pre and Post Contract Stages
* Prepare and issue fee enquiries for any additional survey work and or reports
* Produce and agree the Tender Stage Design Programme and Design Deliverables with the Primary, Secondary and Specialist Subcontract Designers and monitor / report on progress
* Produce and agree the Project Stage ‘draft’ Design Programme, Design Deliverables and Specialist Sub-contractor Procurement Schedule
* Establish a Common Data Environment (CDE)
* Produce the ‘draft’ Design Management Plan (DMP) and BIM Execution Plan (BEP)
* Develop, in conjunction with the Design Team, competitive, technically robust design and engineering solutions that respond to the Employer’s Requirements
* Engage with ‘preferred’ Specialist Subcontractors to develop innovative design solutions and close out design interfaces
* Compile a schedule of design assumptions, design opportunities (VE), design risks (HSE/CDM) identified during the Tender Stage design process
* Assist in the technical review of specialist subcontract tender returns and review all alternative design solutions
* Evaluate the commercial responses to specialist sub contract tender returns and propose recommendations for bid inclusion
* Establish the extent of all outstanding Planning and Building Regulation Matters
* Review any existing BREEAM Assessments and or undertake a Design Stage Assessments
* Chair and record the outcomes of all primary, secondary and specialist subcontractor design workshops
* Produce technical responses for all design questions contained in the tender enquiry document and compile a schedule of Tender Stage design clarifications, qualifications and derogations
* Approve all design proposals that are to be included in the tender offer
* Prepare for and attend all Pre and Post Tender Interviews
* Undertake design performance reviews for all Primary, Secondary and Specialist Subcontractor Designers.
Project Stage – Post Contract
* Review the Project Information including the Employer’s Requirements, Contractor’s Proposals and formally appoint the Design Team and Consultants and brief the Design Team on their contractual obligations and their corresponding duties
* Agree, in conjunction with the Site Team, the Specialist Subcontractor procurement strategy
* Produce and agree the Project Stage Design Programme and associated Design Deliverables with the Primary, Secondary and Specialist Subcontract Designers and monitor / report on progress
* Produce and agree the Project Stage Specialist Sub-contractor Procurement Schedule and Installation/Commission Programme
* Monitor / report on progress to ensure overall progress against programme is maintained
* Establish and agree the project Common Data Environment (CDE), the project file structure, virtual file links, email file links, security rights, work flows and voting rights
* Establish the frequency and content for all design coordination workshops and progress meetings
* Produce the project specific Design Management Plan (DMP) and BIM Execution Plan (BEP) and monitor compliance
* Close out design assumptions, design opportunities (VE), design risks (HSE/CDM) made during the early stages of the design and or tender process
* Verify that all new design documentation is compliant, coordinated, affordable and buildable on a weekly basis in accordance with the DMP
* Manage the submission and timely approval of all reviewable design data
* Assist in the commercial and technical review of specialist subcontract tender returns, establish interfaces and review alternative design
* Prepare technical submissions for alternative designs, system, component, product and or material proposals for Client approval
* Progress the discharge of all outstanding Planning Conditions and the approval of all Building Regulation matters
* Manage the post contract change control process in accordance with the DMP
* Ensure all primary, secondary and specialist subcontractor Design Risk Assessments are produced for review and approval
* Chair and record the outcomes of all primary, secondary and specialist subcontractor design workshops/meetings
* Obtain responses to Primary, Secondary Designers’ TQs from the Client’s Team and Specialist Subcontractor TQs from the Primary Designers
* Monitor the production and quality of all design documentation against the agreed Design Quality / Key Performance Indicators
* Review and approve Primary and Secondary Designers’ Applications for Payment
* Obtain Design Reports from the Primary and Secondary Designers to accompany the monthly CVRs
* Progress the approval of specified design certificates including, CDM, BREEAM, Secure by Design, etc.
* Ensure that all changes to primary and secondary design work are incorporated in the As-Built design documentation
* Undertake design performance reviews for all primary, Secondary and Specialist Subcontractor Designers
* Assist the Document Controller in compiling and archiving the final issue of design documentation, for the; As-Built records, O&M Manuals, Health and Safety File and Post Construction Stage BREEAM Certificate
* Undertake or commission design autopsies on primary / secondary design defects
* Produce a project specific Best Practice / Lessons Learnt paper.
CSCS: CSCS required
Qualifications: Degree required
Professional Membership: CIOB desired
Relevant Experience: A minimum of 10 years working for Main Contractor as a Design Manager
Full Job Description available upon request.
This is an opportunity for career development and long-term employment in a very exciting construction environment.
If you are interested, or perhaps know someone who is suitable and interested, in the above role please contact Jack Davies for more details on 0121 200 5520.
Keywords: (Senior Design Manager, Snr Design Manager, Snr. Design Manager, Sr Design Manager, Sr. Design Manager, Construction, Civils, Civil Engineer, Civil Engineering)
Anderselite Ltd operates as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business.
Our non-discrimination policy can be viewed on our website at anderselite.com/non-discrimination-policy