Job Title: Principal Planner (HS2)
Location: Birmingham (With associated HS2 site travel – Birmingham to Aylesbury)
Sector: HS2, Civil Engineering, Infrastructure, Earthworks, Structures, Drainage, Highways, Bridges
Background: Previously worked as a Civil Engineer, with prior tendering experience (ideally)
Type: Permanent role
Start: Q3/Q4 2021
Salary: Circa £75,000 to £80,000 Per Annum + Strong Package
** (Negotiable on level and relevant experience)
Our client, a growing Civil Engineering and Construction Contractor, who operate within the Infrastructure sector, have an excellent opportunity available for a Civils-bias Principal Planner to join their HS2 team on a permanent basis, helping to deliver major Civil Engineering packages of work on HS2. The ideal candidate will have previously worked as a civil engineer, having on-site experience, alongside prior tendering experience (ideal experience).
The role will be based from a project office in Birmingham, with associated office visits and site travel as required, overseeing the delivery of tender planning requirements, for HS2 work, considering and ensuring all related project and company HSQE elements at met throughout delivery phases. You will have the support of a team underneath you, being able to manage, mentor and develop staff within your team, overcoming challenges throughout the lifecycle of design and construction projects.
You will be responsible for a team of staff who create robust programmes of work from first principles (from the bottom up), which will involve both site and tendering planning, traditionally working on projects ranging between £20 Million to £100+ Million in value.
Daily duties will include but are not limited to:
* Taking responsibility for tender planning, as part of the wider bid management and estimating team.
* Identifying planning requirements for tenders, on HS2 projects, allocating resource appropriately.
* Managing a team of Planners and Senior Planners, conducting peer reviews of their work, managing, mentoring and developing staff within your team.
* Ensuring contract planning requirements are set and delivered as required.
* Encouraging and leading planning best practice, for the HS2 team.
* Reviewing and challenging programme submissions.
* Reading tender documents to fully understand tender requirements.
* Working with the bid manger to agree technical deliverables, that you will produce with your team(e.g. methodology, sequence sketches, time-chainage, resource profile, Gantt charts etc.)
* Exploring alternative techniques, programmes and plans, whilst considering risks vs opportunities.
* Conducting site visits as required.
* Attending client meetings.
* Researching similar schemes previously, being carried out and in progress.
* Working with the Design Manager and Design team, to agree design programme.
* Agreeing planned production rates, with the Estimator, Construction director and Project Manager etc.
* Identifying temporary works requirements, working with the temporary works manager and estimator to estimate the cost of these requirements.
* Producing logic linked programme resource, that reconciles with estimating, meeting client requirements.
* Summarising key plant and material requirements, to forward plan longer term workload.
* Working with Project Management staff, to produce the initial Contract Programmes (or appointing resource within your team, to complete this).
* Appointing or providing appropriate planning support to site teams, as and when required.
Candidates will ideally have:
* Previous experience working as a Senior / Principal Planner or Planning Manager, overseeing a team of staff.
* Created and managed robust programmes of work, for large infrastructure projects (ideally from scratch / first principles), up to or about £100 Million in value.
* Worked up from an Engineering or ‘on site’ background, being able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of construction buildability.
* Strong management ability, being able to manage, mentor and develop a team of staff, allocating workload and overseeing multiple projects or sections of work concurrently.
* A strong knowledge of heavy civil engineering including Earthworks, Structures, Drainage and Highways etc.
* Experience using Primavera P6 or ASTA Powerproject to plan and programme work. (or similar software)
* A competent knowledge of various forms of contract including NEC3 and JCT.
* Effective communication and organisation skills.
* A proactive nature, being able to take responsibility for:
* The value the H&S and personnel wellbeing.
* Engaging with customers and stakeholders to achieve positive solutions.
* Ensuring internal departments and 3rd parties work together and implement work collaboratively.
* Personal and team development.
* Driving continuous improvement.
For more information or to apply for this role, please apply for the role online or send your CV , or connect with Tim Smyth at Anderselite, via LinkedIn.
Anderselite Ltd operates as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business.
Our non-discrimination policy can be viewed on our website.
Job Title: Manging Quantity Surveyor (MQS Groundworks) Location: Birmingham (With associated travel to construction developments) Sector: Groundworks for Construction, Commercial...Apply For This Job
We are currently working with a leading Facilities Service provider to recruit a Contracts Manager to lead a FM healthcare...Apply For This Job
Labourer required to assist on a new build commercial project in Cambridgeshire. Duties will include keeping site clear and tidy,...Apply For This Job
Site Manager required for large new build industrial project in Yorkshire. The role will be working on the Night shift...Apply For This Job
Group Buyer – House Builder – Residential Projects – West Cheshire based office and Northwest based projects – 07980 006...Apply For This Job