Cloud Hosting Engineer
Contract Duration: 6 months
Rate: Market rate
Ideal skills: Cloud, AWS, Automation, CI/CD
Cloud Hosting Engineer: The Public Cloud Hosting Engineering Team is responsible for the technology strategy, architecture and engineering for the services that underpin Barclays next-generation public cloud hosting platform. You can find further details at http://cloud/ (internal link). The objective for this role is to create templates for best practice solution stacks using products such as Chef, Terraform and CloudWatch and generate documentation to enable the self-service use of those templates and infrastructure as code products. These will be used by Barclays application teams as a starting point for common solutions that will accelerate both the journey to public cloud and the transition to a self-service model.
What will you be doing?
* Creating automation templates for best practice solution stacks
* Creating artefacts to accelerate and make easier the adoption of public cloud
* Providing daily subject matter expertise
* Engaging with the Infrastructure as Code community to educate stakeholders
* Developing technical demonstrations to help the community adopt cloud
* Maintaining an interest and knowledge of new innovations in cloud technologies
* Suggesting new ways forward and coming up with new automation ideas
* Driving assigned deliveries through an agile project methodology
What we’re looking for:
* Knowledge and understanding of CI/CD processes, concepts and benefits. Understand benefit of fully-automated deployments and immutable artefacts.
* Strong background working with core AWS services (EC2, S3, ELB, RDS, R53, etc.)
* Automation experience
* Scripting language or coding experience (including bash or python) with strong experience in Linux or Windows
Skills that will help you in the role:
* Experience driving assigned deliveries through an agile project methodology
* Experience of Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (using some or all of – CloudFormation, Jenkins, Chef, InSpec and Terraform)
* Experience with open source database technologies
* Knowledge of containerisation
* Experience using version control with GIT and developing as part of a team utilising pull request methodology
Where will you be working?
The Barclays Technology Campus, just outside Manchester, is our transatlantic tech command centre and one of the largest centres for information security in the UK. It’s the vital strategic powerhouse behind our global operations.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays?
Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. Our values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our colleagues. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That’s why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our dynamic working options for colleagues. If you have a need for flexibility, then please discuss this with us.